Chicken Veggie Avocado Cups
4 skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds total)
4 bay leaves
1 quart organic low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (or half of each, which I did here)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup unsalted, roasted almonds, finely chopped
1/2 large red onion, diced
1/2 a bunch asparagus, roasted and diced into small pieces**
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
2 roasted bell peppers (red or yellow peppers), skin removed and diced (recipe below)*
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup fresh parsley, tightly packed
1/3 cup fresh basil, tightly packed
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons Cannabis Infused Oil
fresh ground pepper to tasteInstruction:*To Roast Bell Peppers:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with oil, set aside.
- Cut the peppers in half and clean out the seeds and innards.
- Place them on a baking sheet skin side up.
- Bake peppers for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the skins are brownish-black, remove from the oven and immediately place the peppers in a large ziploc bag.
- Close and let sit for 20 minutes or so (or until the peppers have time to cool and “sweat”).
- Once they have cooled you will be able to peel the skins right off.
What you will have left is a moist, wonderfully cooked pepper. Yummy!
**To Roast Asparagus:
- Toss asaragus in a little olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Roast in the 450 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, depending on size of asparagus, while bell peppers roast.
- Remove and allow to cool before cutting into small pieces.
For Chicken Salad:
- Put the bay leaves and the chicken broth in a large pot with a lid and bring stock to a simmer.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pot.
- Return the broth to a simmer then cover the pot, and turn off the heat.
- Let the chicken steep in the stock for 30 minutes to an hour.
- While the chicken is cooking, chop the other ingredients – garlic, almonds, onion, asparagus, basil, parsley, roasted bell peppers – and add to a large bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- When the chicken breasts are cooked, remove them from the broth and let them cool.
- When they are cool enough to handle, shred the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces by hand.
- Mix the chicken pieces in with the rest of the ingredients.
To Make Dressing:
- In the bowl of a food processor combine parsley, basil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, and salt.
- While food processor is running slowly add cannabis infused and olive oil in a small drizzle.
- You may have to stop the food processor to scrape the sides. You want the mixture to come to a liquid consistency.
- Add fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Add dressing to chicken salad and toss to combine.
Serve chilled or at room temperature. Or inside a halved avocado. Take an avocado, remove pit, and place chicken salad in the inside.
See Non-Medicated Recipe HERE